The Induction program will include several different ways in which you will receive support, including site-based mentors and monthly opportunities to meet with and learn from others. The program will begin with New Teacher Orientation, Wednesday, August 18, through Friday, August 20, 2021. Orientation will take place at the Dr. James A. Forrest Career and Technology Center and your school-site location.
In addition, if you are interested in getting a running start, we will offer optional professional development with our “Early Bird Sessions” on August 16-17, 2021.
Early Bird Sessions
Optional professional learning opportunities will be provided for newly hired teachers prior to orientation. The sessions will be held in person at Captain Walter Francis Duke Elementary School on Monday, August 16, 2021 and Tuesday, August 17, 2021. Each session will be 90 minutes in length beginning at 8:00 AM, 10:15 AM, and 1:00 PM.
The district-wide support starts with New Teacher Orientation on August 18-20, 2021. This three-day event is a required professional development program that includes the opportunity to meet the superintendent, content supervisors, and other central office staff who are available to answer questions and share information. During this time, you will also be provided time at your school site to meet your administration, your mentor, and have time to prepare your classroom and curriculum.
Wednesday, August 18
New Teachers report to Dr. James A. Forrest Career and Technology Center by 8:00 AM
- 8:00 AM Registration, Refreshments
- 8:30 AM System-Wide Presentation
- 12:00 PM Lunch (Lunch will be provided)
- 12:45 PM Content/Program Sessions
Thursday, August 19
New Teachers report to their school-site location by 8:00 AM (or time communicated by your site principal)
- 8:00 AM Arrive, Connect, Mentor/Administrative Team Time
- 9:00 AM -3:30 PM Get to know your site: building tour, introduction to school initiatives, and classroom preparation. New teachers will receive their SMCPS-issued laptops at this time if they have not already made prior arrangements with their principal.
Friday, August 20
New Teachers report to Dr. James A. Forrest Career and Technology Center by 8:00 AM*
- 8:00 AM Arrive and enjoy breakfast
- 8:30 AM Morning Session: Know Your Contract with Human Resources and EASMC
- 10:30 AM Mentor-Facilitator small group session
- 11:00 AM Orientation Review and Reflection
- 11:30 AM Lunch Provided (Variety of local food trucks)
- 12:15 - 3:30 PM - Content supervisors available for follow-up, time to work in Schoology, or return to the classroom