Registration for the 2019-2020 School Year begins April 8, 2019.
To apply, please go to your child's home school and request an application.
SMCPS Head Start
The SMCPS Head Start program provides services for children ages three through five and their families. Mrs. Andrea Owens is the coordinator for the St. Mary's County Schools Head Start Program. Mrs. Kelly Hall oversees this program in addition to our other early childhood development programs. We work together with our community partners to ensure that children are socially, emotionally, and physically ready to transition to Kindergarten.
- Central: Benjamin Banneker Elementary School
- Southern: Green Holly Elementary School
- Southern: Greenview Knolls Elementary School
ABOUT HEAD START
Our focus is to provide a learning environment that supports children’s growth in the following domains:
- Language and literacy
- Cognition and general knowledge
- Physical development and health
- Social and emotional development
Head Start provides comprehensive services to enrolled low-income children and their families, which includes health, nutrition, social and other services determined to be necessary by family needs assessments.
Head Start emphasizes the role of parents as their child’s first and most important teacher. The Head Start program builds relationships with families that support:
- Family well-being and positive parent-child relationships
- Families as learners and lifelong educators
- Family engagement in transitions
- Family connections to peers and community
- Families as advocates and leaders
Head Start is a five-year grant federal program that promotes the school readiness of children ages three through five from low-income families by enhancing their cognitive, social and emotional development.