St. Mary’s County Public Schools maintains a Child Find program that serves children from birth to age 21. The Child Find program is responsible for locating, identifying, and evaluating children who are potentially in need of special education services.
Referral Process-Updated January 2022
Ages Birth to Three: All children with suspected delays or disabilities are referred to the St. Mary’s County Single Point of Entry at the below number. An intake interview will be completed and a screening and/or assessment scheduled. If the child is determined eligible for services they will be provided through the St. Mary’s County Infants and Toddlers Program.
Ages Three through Five: Children with suspected disabilities are referred to the St. Mary’s County Single Point of Entry. An intake interview, a developmental screening and Parent/Guardian Questionnaire will be completed. The child will be referred to the Child Find IEP team for review and recommendations for evaluation.
Children of Mandatory School Age Enrolled in Non-Public Schools: Students currently enrolled in nonpublic schools that are suspected of having a disability should be referred to their neighborhood public school for screening and evaluation.
Children of Mandatory School Age Enrolled in Approved Home Instruction Programs: Families will refer their child to the Single Point of Entry for intake and screening.
For more information about the Child Find Program or to make a referral to Child Find, please contact:
Coordinator of Special Education:
- Where are the Child Find IEP Team Meetings conducted?
- How long does the process typically take once a referral is made to Child Find?
- What is the focus of the Child Find referral, screening and assessment process?
- Will my child be assessed automatically if he or she has completed the Child Find Screening?
- I may be unable to attend a meeting in person. Can I participate by phone?
- Do I have to have my child assessed if that is the recommendation of the IEP Team?
- If my child qualifies as a child with a disability through the Child Find process, does this ensure acceptance into SMCPS Pre-Kindergarten?
- Are there special arrangements or considerations for inclement weather days?