No positions are available at this time.
Registered Nurse Sub Rate of Pay
|Level of Education||FY22 Hourly Rate (effective 10-1-21)||FY23 Hourly Rate|
|MA Degree or Higher||$36.03||$36.75|
SUBSTITUTE (TEACHER, PARAEDUCATOR, SECRETARY)
Start here to learn more about becoming a Substitute Teacher the application opens on December 2, 2022. You will need to attend a one-day virtual class. Pick one day from the several class dates available.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit to a criminal history background check.
- Complete authorization for Employee History Verification forms.
- Successfully complete the substitute training course
- Observe in a school classroom a half-day to be completed between the class date and intake meeting. (Directions will be given in class.)
- Complete the Vector Training Videos (formerly SafeSchools). Directions will be given in class.
- Commit to at least 10 days of substituting per school year.
All employees of a public school system in Maryland are required to submit their fingerprints and undergo a criminal history background check. The State of Maryland charges the public schools a $60.00 fee for each set of fingerprints submitted. This fee must be paid by the substitute at the time the fingerprinting takes place.
Training Session Dates:
|Training Session||Application Dates||Class Day 1
9 AM to 3 PM
|#16 Virtual One-Day Class||December 2, 2022 - April 6, 2023||April 14, 2023|
|#18 Virtual One-Day Class||December 2, 2022 - May 5, 2023||May 12, 2023|
|#19 Virtual One-Day Class||December 2, 2022 - May 19, 2023||May 26, 2023|
|#20 Virtual One-Day Class||December 2, 2022 - June 2, 2023||June 9, 2023|
|#21 Virtual One-Day Class||December 2, 2022 - June 16, 2023||June 23, 2023|
FY2023 Pay Dates for Substitute Employees
Substitute teachers are hired to teach students in the absence of a teacher, on a daily or long-term basis. Preferred applicants have had some experience working with children. Substitute employees are paid every two weeks during the school year, based on the number of days worked.
Sub Rate of Pay - effective 8-10-2022
|Level of Education||FY23 Substitute Hourly Rate||FY23 Long-Term/Dedicated Hourly Rate|
|MA Degree and Above||$15.75||$16.75|
As a substitute, you can:
- Make a difference for the children of our community.
- Gain experience in an educational environment.
- Determine your own days and hours of availability.
- Select the schools in which you want to work.
- Be at home when school is not in session.
- Maintain your status as a full-time teacher applicant.
- Earn extra money while you are working part-time elsewhere.
Essential Job Functions of Substitute Teachers
- Assumes all duties and responsibilities of the regular teacher on a given day. Long-term substitutes may also be required to attend staff meetings, parent conferences, etc.
- Maintains effective working relationships with other employees and the public and deals with public relations problems courteously and tactfully.
- Carries out written plans left by the regular teacher for the day's lessons and routines. Marks pupil assignments and classroom work according to school and teacher evaluation policies.
- Records pupil absences according to school procedures.
- Assumes the teacher's responsibility for the supervision of students in the building, on the grounds, or on field trips.
- Becomes familiar with and follow school and division procedures for routines and emergencies.
- Leaves a clear, written summary for the teacher of the work covered and other relevant comments.
- During the planning period, performs duties as requested by the teacher or school administrator.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times: in the classroom, school site, administrative buildings, and in the community.