Dr. J. Scott Smith, Superintendent of Schools, 301-475-5511, ext. 32178
Dr. Jeff Walker, Assistant Superintendent of Supporting Services, 301-475-4256, ext. 7
LEONARDTOWN, MD – St. Mary’s County Public Schools (SMCPS) has approved a return to outdoor only summer training and conditioning beginning on Monday, July 13, 2020. The following guiding principles will drive our operations:
● Ensuring the gradual, safe return of student-athletes to in-person participation in interscholastic athletic activities.
● Maximizing participation opportunities, including the implementation and transition to new phases.
● Providing ongoing communication regarding the current operations of the SMCPS Athletics program, in alignment with state and local guidelines, considerations, and recommendations.
As part of the Maryland Together, Maryland’s Recovery Plan for Education SMCPS formed a “Return to Play Committee” consisting of various stakeholders including SMCPS administrative and supervisory staff, athletic directors, and coaches. Other stakeholders including St. Mary’s County Health Department (SMCHD) staff, athletic trainers, and experts in sports medicine also serve on this committee. The committee was instrumental in the development of the procedures and guidelines that will drive our operations throughout the summer.
The procedures and guidelines align with guidance from the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA), Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) and SMCHD mandates and recommendations.
All students participating in summer conditioning and activities will be required to have a current physical on file with the school and a signed Covid-19 Acknowledgement Form. The Covid-19 Acknowledgement Form will indicate that Covid-19 information has been provided, reviewed, and is understood by the parent and participant. These forms and information will be made available through FamilyID or the school’s athletic director.
Coaches, sponsors, and student participants will be responsible for ensuring the operational guidelines are implemented and followed. These guidelines include, but are not limited to:
● Daily Contact Tracing Form
● Gradual Return to Conditioning and Heat Acclimatization
● Social Distancing
● Face Coverings (Unless Medically Contraindicated)
● Hand Washing and General Health Practices
● Number of Participants/Workout Groups
● Hydration and Cooling
The health and safety of our student participants, coaches, and sponsors is our top priority. Please contact your school’s athletic director or Michael A. Watson, Director of Facility Coordination, Health and Physical Education, and Athletics at email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to acquire additional information.