Dr. J. Scott Smith, Superintendent of Schools, 301-475-5511, ext. 32178
Dr. Jeff Walker, Assistant Superintendent of Supporting Services, 301-475-4256, ext. 7
LEONARDTOWN, MD – The Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 13A.04.18.01 require that each school system provide comprehensive family life and human sexuality education to students in schools. Given the sensitive nature of such programs, the regulations also require each local school system to consult with members of the community in developing, implementing, and evaluating the program.
In accordance with COMAR and the Board of Education of St. Mary’s County (Board) Policy, IHAMB, a Family Life and Human Sexuality Advisory Committee was approved by the Board. Members of this committee include:
• Supervisor of instruction for health education
• Parent/guardian representative from each middle school (4)
• Parent/guardian representative from each high school (3)
• Middle school teacher of family life curriculum from each middle school (4)
• High school teacher of family life curriculum from each high school (3)
• Representative of the St. Mary’s County Health Department
• Representative of the St. Mary’s County Health Care Community
• Elementary School Principal, St. Mary’s County Public Schools
• Secondary School Principal, St. Mary’s County Public Schools
• School Nurse, assigned to the St. Mary’s County Public Schools
• Public high school student representative
• Community members at large (4)
The committee reviewed and critiqued additional elementary instructional materials for 4th and 5th grade. The committee recommended these additional materials to the Board for approval.
On May 20, 2020, the Board approved the additional instructional materials recommended by the Family Life and Human Sexuality Advisory Committee for use in the implementation of the
family life and human sexuality curriculum at the elementary level.
The local school system shall provide an opportunity for parents and guardians to view instructional materials to be used in the teaching of family life and human sexuality
objectives. The additional elementary school materials can be viewed by visiting our School Health Council Google Site. Once we are operating under normal circumstances we may make these additional materials available to view in public locations across the county.
In addition, each local school invites parents and guardians to visit prior to the family life and human sexuality unit being taught. Parents and Guardians are able to examine all materials to be used during this unit of study and ask any questions of the school staff they may have.
Pursuant to COMAR 13A.04.18.01, the local school system shall establish policies, guidelines, and/or procedures for student opt-out regarding instruction related to family
life and human sexuality objectives.
Please contact Michael A. Watson, Director of Facility Coordination, Health and Physical Education, and Athletics at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or wish to acquire