Substitute School Nurse Application will be available from May 17 until June 4, 2021. To learn more or to apply click here.
Substitute Application will be available from May 17 until June 4, 2021. If you are interested in becoming a substitute either for summer learning and/or future school years, To learn more or to apply click here.
Classes will be held virtually via zoom and will have limited capacity, So apply early! Classes will be on June 18 or June 25, 2021.
The selection of applicants to be invited to attend the substitute training class is based on three tiers. Selections will first be made from Tier I, then Tier 2, and then Tier 3.
Applicants holding a valid Maryland certification for teaching. Applicants holding at least a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university.
Applicants holding at least an Associate's degree from an accredited college/university. Applicants who have completed at least two years of study and earned 48 credits. Applicants who have passed the ParaPro Assessment.
Applicants that have a high school diploma/GED.
Candidates must also agree to:
- Submit to a criminal history background check.
- Complete authorization for Employee History Verification forms.
- Successfully complete the substitute training course.
- Commit to at least 10 days of substituting per school year.
All employees of a public school system in Maryland are required to submit their fingerprints and undergo a criminal history background check. The State of Maryland charges the public schools a $60.00 fee for each set of fingerprints submitted. This fee must be paid by the substitute at the time the fingerprinting takes place.
Below is the 2020-2021 Substitute Employee Training Class Schedule. Each Substitute Employee Virtual Training Class will consist of ONE full-day session (9:00 AM – 3:00 PM). All interested applicants must apply online. For additional information please call Angelia Rollins at 301-475-5511, ext. 32189 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Training Session Info
|Training Session||Application Dates||Class |
8 am to 3 pm
#1 If you are selected to attend the subclass, you will be assigned to one of the two dates.
May 17, 2021 - June 4, 2021
June 18, 2021, or June 25, 2021
|#2 If you are selected to attend the subclass, you will be assigned to one of the two dates.||
|#3 If you are selected to attend the subclass, you will be assigned to one of the two dates.||TBD||TBD|
|#4 If you are selected to attend the subclass, you will be assigned to one of the two dates.||TBD||TBD|
Substitute teachers are hired to teach students in the absence of a teacher, on a daily or long-term basis. Preferred applicants have had some experience working with children. Substitute employees are paid every two weeks during the school year, based upon the number of days worked.
|Level of Education||FY21 Substitute Hourly Rate||FY21 Long-Term/Dedicated Hourly Rate|
As a substitute, you can:
- Make a difference for the children of our community.
- Gain experience in an educational environment.
- Determine your own days and hours of availability.
- Select the schools in which you want to work.
- Be at home when school is not in session.
- Maintain your status as a full-time teacher applicant.
- Earn extra money while you are working part-time elsewhere.
Essential Job Functions of Substitute Teachers
- Assumes all duties and responsibilities of the regular teacher on a given day. Long-term substitutes may also be required to attend staff meetings, parent conferences, etc.
- Maintains effective working relationships with other employees and the public and deals with public relations problems courteously and tactfully.
- Carries out written plans left by the regular teacher for the day's lessons and routines. Marks pupil assignments and classroom work according to school and teacher evaluation policies.
- Records pupil absences according to school procedures.
- Assumes the teacher's responsibility for the supervision of students in the building, on the grounds, or on field trips.
- Becomes familiar with and follows school and division procedures for routines and emergencies.
- Leaves a clear, written summary for the teacher of the work covered and other relevant comments.
- During the planning period, performs duties as requested by the teacher or school administrator.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times: in the classroom, school site, administrative buildings, and in the community.