SMCPS uses Bridges in Mathematics, 2nd Edition, as a primary resource for teaching your child the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.
Fifth Grade Math Content
- use models and strategies to divide 2- and 3-digit numbers by 2-digit numbers, with and without remainders. (Students are not expected to use the standard long division algorithm until sixth grade.)
- add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators
- multiply fractions and divide fractions in simple cases
- measure volume
- explain patterns in the number of zeros and the placement of the decimal point in the answer when multiplying or dividing by powers of 10
- read, write, round, compare, add & subtract, multiply & divide decimals
- multiply multi-digit whole numbers
- locate and graph points on a coordinate plane
Family Welcome Letter An introduction to Bridges including an overview of the year.
Parent Letter by Quarter
Please follow the links below to read more detailed parent letters for each unit.
Resources to Help Your Child At Home
The following selection of games and activities will help your child to practice some of these skills at home.
- Factor Dazzle Players score points for finding all the factors of target numbers set by their opponents. Use "guest pass" to enter game list and play against the computer.
- The Quotient Cafe Select food and characters to practice division with remainders. Use dividends from 1–500 and divisors from 1–50. (Flash)
Fractions & Decimals
- Dig It Players take turns digging in a field loaded with precious stones. The object is to collect as much dirt and as many stones as possible. Players tell the shovel where to dig by using a set of numbers to make a fraction–including improper fractions–and then locating that fraction on a number line that runs across the field. The more accurately they locate the fraction, the better their score. Students may need some help to get started. Use "guest pass" to enter game list and play against the computer.
- Fraction Feud Players use number "cards" to create fractions that are larger (or smaller) than their opponents' in a series of mock jousts. See the "fraction bar chart" to figure out how big a fraction is in relation to an opponent's. Use "guest pass" to enter game list and play against the computer.
- Drop Zone Players add fractions that will total 1 as they race to win 5 points in this action-packed game. Develops fraction sense, estimation, and skill at adding fractions with like and unlike denominators. Use "guest pass" to enter game list and play against the computer.
- Mathman Fractions Add fractions with unlike denominators in this Pac-Man style game. (Flash)
- Fractazmic Add a series of fraction cards to total 1. Cards include models of egg cartons, rulers, and liters. (Flash)
- MathTappers: Estimate Fractions In this free App for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, students relate fractions (symbols and pictures) to the nearest half. Then they use fraction estimates in addition & subtraction problems. Excellent game to use while on the go.
- Fractions to Decimals Practice converting decimals to fractions while racing other players. (Flash)
- Pecking Order Order numbers on a number line as quickly as possible. Choose the fraction or fraction/decimal mode.
- Cubes Fill a box with cubes, rows of cubes, or layers of cubes. Click on the flattened sides of the box to see what the box looks like folded up.
- 3-D Shapes In this futuristic mission, players use knowledge of 3-D shapes to escape Roboidz.
The links below contain some of the best games for elementary math students to play at home. Look through the sites to find other games for your child.
- ABCya! The math games on this site, modeled from primary grade lessons, were approved of or created by teachers.
- Calculation Nation The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Illuminations site hosts over 10 games that includes notes for parents. Students can either register and challenge other players online or use the "guest pass" button to enter the game list and play against the computer. Designed for upper elementary and middle grades.
- Johnnie's Math Page Use this online index to find hundreds of interactive math games on the web, organized by concept.
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives Organized by grade band and math concept, this Utah State University site contains a wide selection of virtual manipulatives.
- The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics Grade 5
- The Math Learning Center Free Math Apps
- Parent Roadmap: Supporting Your Child in Grade 5 Mathematics
- Guía Para Los Padres: Apoyando a su Hijo en Quinto Grado Matemáticas
- Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics (USDE) - fun everyday activities you can do with your child
- Computational Fluency Expectations