SMCPS uses Bridges in Mathematics, 2nd Edition, as a primary resource for teaching your child the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.
Fifth Grade Math Content
- use models and strategies to divide 2- and 3-digit numbers by 2-digit numbers, with and without remainders. (Students are not expected to use the standard long division algorithm until sixth grade.)
- add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators
- multiply fractions and divide fractions in simple cases
- measure volume
- explain patterns in the number of zeros and the placement of the decimal point in the answer when multiplying or dividing by powers of 10
- read, write, round, compare, add & subtract, multiply & divide decimals
- multiply multi-digit whole numbers
- locate and graph points on a coordinate plane
Family Welcome Letter An introduction to Bridges including an overview of the year.
Parent Letter by Quarter
Please follow the links below to read more detailed parent letters for each unit.
- The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics Grade 5
- The Math Learning Center Free Math Apps
- The Math Learning Center Additional Resources
- Parent Roadmap: Supporting Your Child in Grade 5 Mathematics
- Guía Para Los Padres: Apoyando a su Hijo en Quinto Grado Matemáticas
- Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics (USDE) - fun everyday activities you can do with your child
- Computational Fluency Expectations