SMCPS teachers use Bridges in Mathematics, 2nd Edition, as a primary resource for teaching your child the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.
Second Grade Math Content
- solve two-step addition and subtraction story problems to 100
- add and subtract to 20; know addition facts to 20 by memory
- read and write 3-digit numbers using numerals, words, and expanded notation (726 = 700 + 20 + 6)
- understand that the three digits of a 3-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens, and ones
- use symbols >, =, < to compare two 3-digit numbers
- add and subtract 2-digit numbers accurately and efficiently, and explain strategies for doing so
- add and subtract 3-digit numbers using models, sketches, and/or numbers, and explain strategies for doing so
- estimate and measure length in centimeters and meters, inches and feet.
- divide circles and rectangles into two, three, and four equal parts and describe the parts
- recognize, draw, and analyze 2- and 3-D shapes
- solve money problems involving dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies
Family Welcome Letter An introduction to Bridges including an overview of the year.
Parent Letters by Quarter
Please follow the links below to read more detailed parent letters for each unit.
- Unit 7: Measurement, Fractions & Multi-Digit Computation
- Unit 8: Measurement, Data, & Multi-Digit Computation
Additional Helpful Resources
- The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics - Grade 2
- The Math Learning Center Family Support - Grade 2 has links to numerous resources.
- Free Math Apps from The Math Learning Center
- Parent Roadmap: Supporting Your Child in Grade Two Mathematics
- Guía Para Los Padres: Apoyando a Su Hijo en Segunda Grado Matemáticas
- Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics (USDE) - fun everyday activities you can do with your child
- Computational Fluency Expectations