SMCPS teachers use Bridges in Mathematics, 2nd Edition, as a primary resource for teaching your child the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.
In grade 2 math, your child will:
- solve two-step addition and subtraction story problems to 100
- add and subtract to 20; know addition facts to 20 by memory
- read and write 3-digit numbers using numerals, words, and expanded notation (726 = 700 + 20 + 6)
- understand that the three digits of a 3-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens, and ones
- use symbols >, =, < to compare two 3-digit numbers
- add and subtract 2-digit numbers accurately and efficiently, and explain strategies for doing so
- add and subtract 3-digit numbers using models, sketches, and/or numbers, and explain strategies for doing so
- estimate and measure length in centimeters and meters, inches and feet.
- divide circles and rectangles into two, three, and four equal parts and describe the parts
- recognize, draw, and analyze 2- and 3-D shapes
- solve money problems involving dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies
Family Welcome Letter An introduction to Bridges including an overview of the year.
|Quarter||Please click on the links below to read more detailed parent letters for each unit.|
Additional Helpful Resources:
- The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics - Grade 2
- Curriculum Resource - Investigations
- Parent Roadmap: Supporting Your Child in Grade Two Mathematics
- Guía Para Los Padres: Apoyando a Su Hijo en Segunda Grado Matemáticas
- Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics (USDE) - fun everyday activities you can do with your child
- Computational Fluency Expectations
- The Math Learning Center Family Support - Grade 2 has links to numerous resources.