SMCPS uses Bridges in Mathematics, 2nd Edition, as a primary resource for teaching your child the Common Core State Standards.
First Grade Math Content
- solve addition and subtraction story problems
- count by ones and tens to 120 read and write numbers to 120, and represent a number of objects up to 120 with a written numeral
- understand place value by describing what the digits mean in two-digit numbers; use this knowledge to add and subtract
- add two-digit numbers using at least two different strategies and explain how the strategies work
- subtract two-digit numbers that are multiples of 10 using at least two different strategies and explain how the strategies work
- compare two numbers using the symbols >, =, and <
- add and subtract numbers within 10 efficiently and accurately
- read or construct a graph and answer questions about the data
- measure length using non-standard units such as Popsicle sticks, linking cubes, and so on
- tell and write time to the hour and half-hour on analog and digital clock
Family Welcome Letter An introduction to Bridges including an overview of the year.
Parent Letters by Quarter
Please follow the links below to read more detailed parent letters for each unit.
Additional Helpful Resources:
- The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics - Grade 1
- Free Math Apps from The Math Learning Center
- Math Learning Center Family Support Page, Additional resources are at the bottom of the grade level page
- Parent Roadmap: Supporting Your Child in Grade One Mathematics
- Guía Para Los Padres: Apoyando a Su Hijo en Primer Grado Matemáticas
- Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics (United Stated Department of Education): Fun activities to help your child learn mathematics.
- Computational Fluency Expectations