SMCPS uses Bridges in Mathematics, 2nd Edition, as a primary resource for teaching your child the Common Core State Standards.
In grade 1 math, your child will:
- solve addition and subtraction story problems
- count by ones and tens to 120 read and write numbers to 120, and represent a number of objects up to 120 with a written numeral
- understand place value by describing what the digits mean in two-digit numbers; use this knowledge to add and subtract
- add two-digit numbers using at least two different strategies and explain how the strategies work
- subtract two-digit numbers that are multiples of 10 using at least two different strategies and explain how the strategies work
- compare two numbers using the symbols >, =, and <
- add and subtract numbers within 10 efficiently and accurately
- read or construct a graph and answer questions about the data
- measure length using non-standard units such as Popsicle sticks, linking cubes, and so on
- tell and write time to the hour and half-hour on analog and digital clock
Family Welcome Letter An introduction to Bridges including an overview of the year.
|Quarter||Please click on the links below to read more detailed parent letters for each unit.|
Additional Helpful Resources:
- The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics - Grade 1
- Free Math Apps from The Math Learning Center
- Curriculum Resource - Investigations
- Parent Roadmap: Supporting Your Child in Grade One Mathematics
- Guía Para Los Padres: Apoyando a Su Hijo en Primer Grado Matemáticas
- Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics (United Stated Department of Education): Fun activities to help your child learn mathematics.
- Computational Fluency Expectations