All students in grade 3 and new students in grades 4 and 5 are screened for gifted services. Multiple measures of aptitude, potential, and achievement are used for identification. Students are identified for the gifted reading and mathematics programs separately. Parents/guardians of identified students are notified after the screening process is complete.
Assistance & Stage 1 (All students)
- Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test
Assistance & Stage 2 (Selected Students)
Reading Identification Data
- Gates MacGinitie Reading Assessment
- County Reading Assessment
- Writing Sample
- PARCC Reading
Mathematics Identification Data
- Maryland College and Career Readiness Standards Computation and Strategies Assessment
- County Mathematics Assessment
- PARCC Mathematics
Identification letters are sent home as students are identified for gifted programming in reading and/or mathematics.
Assistance & Stage 3- Appeals Process
- A data review meeting can be requested. Information collected during the screening process will be explained at a team meeting. Contact the school principal if you would like to schedule a meeting.
- An appeal can be requested to consider new information such as additional reading and/or mathematics assessments, outside assessments, or mitigating factors. Contact the school principal if you would like to appeal your child's screening results. Only one appeal may be requested each school year.