What Your Child Will Learn in Fourth Grade:
|Speaking and Listening||
Video links above require a free registration to use LearnZillion. Parents can create a free "teacher" account here.. Once logged in you can access the Background Information and Guided Practice videos without interruption.
Additional Helpful Resources:
- Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts- Literacy, Grade 4
- Parent Roadmap: Supporting Your Child in Grade Four, English Language Arts
- Guía Para Los Padres: Apoyando A Su Hijo En Cuarto Grado, Artes Del Lenguaje En Inglés
- Helping Your Child Learn to Read to Read: A Parent Tip Sheet
Resources to Support Your Child at Home:
- St. Mary’s County Library- Use your library card to download books from the library through the Overdive App
- PARCC Released Items- Access passages and questions from past PARCC assessments
- ABCYa- Online games students can play to practice various literacy skills
Resources Available through SMCPS
Recommended Reading/Online Books
- Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) Notable Children’s Books 2020
- ALSC 2019 Summer Reading Lists
- St. Mary’s County Public Library Recommended Reading for KidsStoryline Online- A collection of authentic, high quality children's books read aloud by famous actors, no account necessary.
- OxfordOwl- Website that includes tips for parents on how to support their children with reading and free online books for children to read/listen to, parents will need to create a free account.
- StoryTime From Space- In-orbit read alouds by real astronauts
- Tumblebooks- TumbleBooks is an online collection of animated, talking picture books for beginning readers offered by the St. Mary’s County Library, you will need a library card to access
- Reading Rockets: Reading for Meaning with Your Child- Quick tips for supporting your child before, during, and after reading
- Reading Rockets: How Parents Can Support the Common Core Reading Standards- Ideas for talking points and questions to ask your child that will support the Common Core Reading Standards
- Reading Rockets: Think Alouds to Build Comprehension- Tips on how to use think alouds while reading to your child to support making connections
- Scholastic Question Stems- This document provides questions you can ask your fourth grade child before, during, and after reading that will support the Common Core Standards
- Into the Book- Reading resource for elementary students that focuses on comprehension strategies
- Khan Academy- ELA Beta- Reading passages and questions for students in grades 2-5
- Read Theory- Personalized reading passages and questions to support comprehension, sign-up for a free account.
- 6 Smart Strategies to Boost Reading Fluency
- Reader’s Theater- Reader's Theater is a dramatic presentation of a written work in a script form, the focus is on reading the text with expressive voices and gestures
- Poetry 4 Kids- Here you will find lots of funny poems for kids that students can read practice reading aloud with expression
- Vocabulary Spelling City- Website with free games to build your child’s vocabulary
The following articles provide tips to support writing at home: