What Your Child Will Learn in Second Grade:
Reading: Literature/Informational Text
- Identify key ideas and details by asking and answering “wh” questions about a text such as who, what, where, when, and why; identifying the main topic, characters, and connections.
- Recognize craft and structure by determining the meaning of words and phrases, describing the structure of a story, text features, and points of view of characters.
- Integrate knowledge and ideas by comparing and contrasting two versions of the same story or important point on the same topic.
- Read a range of texts of various levels of text complexity for grade 2.
- Understand print concepts.
- Show phonological awareness.
- Use phonics in word recognition.
- Read with fluency on level text.
- Write a variety of text types and for a variety of purposes.
- Produce and distribute writing.
- Research to build and present knowledge (integrating technology).
|Speaking and Listening
- ·Comprehend and collaborate.
- Present knowledge and ideas.
- Use the conventions of Standards of English.
- Acquire and use vocabulary.
Video links above require a free registration to use LearnZillion. Parents can create a free "teacher" account here. Once logged in you can access the Background Information and Guided Practice videos without interruption.
Additional Helpful Resources: