Middle School Math
Highlights of Major Work in Grades 6 through 8
6th Grade Math
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and divisions to divide fractions by fractions.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers of the system of rational numbers
- Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions
- Reason about and solve one variable equations and inequalities.
- Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent Variables.
7th Grade Math
- Apply and extend previous understandings of operations with fractions to add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers.
- Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real world problems.
- Use properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions.
- Solve real-life and mathematical problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations.
8th Grade Math
- Work with radicals and integer exponents.
- Understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations.
- Analyze and solve linear equations and pairs simultaneous linear equations
- Define,evaluate, and compare functions.
- Use functions to model relationships between quantities.
These road maps include examples of grade-level focus in the content area using parent-friendly language, sample progressions of learning across three grade levels of the Maryland College and Career Readiness Standards, and tips to parents on communicating with teachers about their child’s work and how to support student learning at home.
- Parent Guide to 6th Grade Math (Spanish Version)
- Parent Guide to 7th Grade Math (Spanish Version)
- Parent Guide to 8th Grade Math (Spanish Version)
- Parent Guide to High School Math (Spanish Version)
The free Milestone Videos (produced by GreatSchools, 2015) highlight some of the key concepts in K-8 mathematics and are accompanied by relevant articles, videos, activities, and worksheets that parents/ families can use to help their children with mathematics at home.