Young Drivers Safety Program Student Assemblies Scheduled
- Created on Thursday, 02 September 2010 09:25
Dr. Michael J. Martirano, Superintendent of Schools, 301-475-5511, ext. 178
LEONARDTOWN, MD - Dr. Michael J. Martirano, superintendent of schools, is pleased to announce that St. Mary’s County Public Schools will once again sponsor young driver safety student assemblies at each high school during the week of September 13, 2010. The student assemblies are an annual component of the Superintendent’s Young Driver Safety Program, and are designed to raise awareness about high risk driving behaviors and to encourage our students to always drive safely and understand that safe driving is a very important responsibility. This year’s assemblies will feature a presentation by young driver safety advocate Miguel Vela. Mr. Vela will share his personal experience from a tragic motor vehicle accident and, in his own words, “Tell you everything that took place in that time period, not so you feel sorry for me, but for you to think of why you may choose to drink and drive and stop yourself.”
Components of the Superintendent’s Young Drivers Safety Program include:
- All students requesting a St. Mary’s County Public Schools’ parking permit for parking at designated schools will be required to view a school-based audio/visual presentation specifically addressing young driver high-risk behaviors.
- All students requesting a St. Mary’s County Public School’s parking permit for parking at designated schools will be required to sign a safe driving contract.
- All students requesting a St. Mary’s County Public School’s parking permit for parking at designated schools will be encouraged to register their vehicle with the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office “S.T.O.P.P.E.D. Program,” Sheriff’s Telling Our Parents & Promoting Educated Drivers.
All St. Mary’s County Public School’s secondary students will be required to attend a one hour student assembly on young driver safety.
The St. Mary’s County Public Schools will reinforce the importance of this program through public media releases and public service announcements.
Scheduled student assemblies:
- Monday – September 13, 2010, 8:30 a.m., at Leonardtown High School, 23995 Point Lookout Road, Leonardtown, MD 20650
- Wednesday – September 15, 2010, 8:00 a.m., at Chopticon High School, 25390 Colton Point Road, Morganza, MD 20660
- Thursday – September 16, 2010, 8:30 a.m., at Great Mills High School, 21130 Great Mills Road, Great Mills, MD 20634
During the 2010-2011 school year, St. Mary’s County Public Schools will continue the implementation of the Superintendent’s Young Drivers Safety Program. Several activities are scheduled and will continue throughout the year to further engage students, parents, and community members in efforts to continually encourage our young drivers to act responsibly and drive safely.