Kirwan Commission: Innovation and Excellence in Education
Mr. J. Scott Smith, Superintendent of Schools, 301-475-5511, ext. 32178
Dr. Maureen Montgomery, Deputy Superintendent of Schools, 301-475-5511, ext. 32178
LEONARDTOWN, MD – There will be a public hearing of the proposed recommendations of the The Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education held on Wednesday, October 25, 2017, from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM at Largo High School located at 505 Largo Road, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20774.
The General Assembly passed Senate Bill 905, and House Bill 999 to create the Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education. The Commission is charged with making recommendations on:
● An updated base per pupil funding amount and additional funding for special needs students (i.e., low income, English language learners, and special education students) that are adequate for students to meet the new academic standards for college and career readiness;
● counties with increasing and declining enrollment; expansion of prekindergarten and funding for prekindergarten and other early childhood education programs;
● equity in school finance and local wealth measures;
● the regional cost of education index;
● accountability measures;
● the effects of the federal Every Student Succeeds Act on education in the State; and,
● Policy initiatives to enhance the availability of and access to innovative educational opportunities in K-12 education systems and how the State can better prepare students for postsecondary education, the workforce and the global economy.
The following links provide an overview of the Commission’s works to date as well as access to the presentations and data reviewed in committee.
Link to Kirwan Commission:
Funding Commission on Innovation & Excellence
Link to Maryland Association of Boards of Education (MABE) Priority Issues summary of Kirwan Commission schedule, topics, and presentations.
MABE Priority Issue - Kirwan Commission