Food and Nutrition Services
L. Michael Jones
Director of Food and Nutrition Services
The vision of the Department of Food and Nutrition Services is to be child nutrition advocates and to provide nutritious, attractive meals to students and staff.
The Department of Food and Nutrition Services is responsible for operating the National School Lunch Program which is overseen by the United States Department of Agriculture. This program is designed to provide nutritious meals to students and staff in over 101,000 schools across the country. During the 2013-2014 school year, over 2.1 million meals (breakfast and lunch) were served to St. Mary's County Public School students.
- Operate the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) to include breakfast, lunch and snack program in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Determine meal benefit eligibility of students and maintain all applicable records.
- Develop menus designed to meet nutritional requirements of NSLP program.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the District Wellness Policy.
- Coordinate the after-school snack program to support educational activities.
- Operate the Maryland Meals for Achievement program in seven elementary and three secondary schools.