Food and Nutrition Services
The Department of Food and Nutrition Services provides school meals through the National School Lunch Program, which is overseen by the United States Department of Agriculture. This program is designed to provide nutritious meals to over 101,000 schools across the country. During the 2015-2016 school year, over 2.2 million meals (breakfast and lunch) were served to St. Mary's County Public Schools students and staff.
- Operate the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) to include breakfast, lunch, and snack program in compliance with state and federal regulations
- Determine meal benefit eligibility of students and maintain all applicable records
- Develop menus designed to meet the nutritional requirements of NSLP program
- Assist in the development and implementation of the District Wellness Policy
- Coordinate after-school snack programs to support educational activities
- Operate the Maryland Meals for Achievement program in six elementary and three secondary schools