Academies & Pathways
Applications are now being accepted for the 2018-2019 school year!
- All online applications must be completed and submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, April 20th, 2018. No applications will be accepted after that date. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- All applicants will be notified about acceptance status via the contact email address provided by Friday, May 25th, 2018. Please make sure your email address is valid and can accept messages from an SMCPS address.
Students interested in Academies should meet with their guidance counselor to find out more information. Additional information can be found by clicking the links to the left.
NOTICE ABOUT RECOMMENDATIONS
All applicants must have ONE recommendation on file. The recommendation should be from a teacher or specialist related to your first choice academy:
- AVPA Applicants must have a Music, Fine Arts or Theatre/Language Arts teacher complete the recommendation.
- GIS Applicants must have a Social Studies or English/Language Arts teacher complete the recommendation.
- AoF Applicants must have a Social Studies, English/Language Arts, Mathematics or Science teacher complete the recommendation.
- STEM Applicants must have a Math or Science teacher complete the recommendation.
These recommendations will be submitted directly, and securely, to the online application system.
Applicants are responsible for providing the recommending party with an Academies & Pathways Recommendation Request form. Please print & fill out the form, and give it to your recommending teacher (or party) when you ask them for their recommendation. It has the information they will need.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their recommendations have been submitted. An application is not complete until the recommendation is received. No incomplete applications will be considered.
The Academy of Visual and Performing Arts (AVPA) supports our population of talented youth who excel in the Arts. Students participating in the AVPA will have a choice of one of three areas of focus: music, theatre, or visual arts. The AVPA is housed at Chopticon High School. @ChopticonAVPA
The Academy of Global and International Studies (GIS) provides a rigorous, engaging education where students study specific curriculum related to world cultures, current affairs, history, literature and languages. GIS is housed at Leonardtown High School. @LHSGIS
The Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) program is a rigorous and unique program of study developed by St. Mary's County Public Schools emphasizing the core areas of mathematics and science with an infusion of technology and engineering. STEM is housed at Lexington Park Elementary, Spring Ridge Middle and Great Mills High School. @SMCPSSTEM
The Academy of Finance (AOF) helps students develop professional skills, receive specialized instruction in business finance and management, and gain an awareness of the marketable skills needed to be successful in the workplace. The AOF is housed at Chopticon High School. @SMCPSAOF
The Academy Handbook details information and protocols for the four St. Mary's County Public Schools' Academy Programs. Contact information can be found by clicking on the handbook link below.